Friday, July 14, 2006

Hot Water, Yo Me Gusta

July 13, 2006



I really want a hot bath tonight. It rained all day and every low place in the street is full of water. It was wet walking to school, walking to lunch, walking home, walking back up here to the internet cafe, and all I want is a nice hot, hot bath. Just one catch, there is virtually no hot water in Costa Rica, just what I have heard refered to as "The Suicide Shower".

You get hot water from an electric box that heats the water as long as you keep the water pressure really low. The more you turn up the water, the colder it gets. Once you get the pressure built up, you have about 3 mintures of fairly hot water. But this meter box is in the shower with you! Hence the name. This seems to be safe enough, because I haven't seen very many singed people walking around.

But this evening, I miss my bathtub with gallons and gallons of hot water.

At home, however, no one would be sitting with me around the dinner table, after a meal someone else had cooked for me, tyring to discuss and understand everything I said in a different language. Maria, John, another housemate from Nebraska, and I had the best conversation tonight about all the things that happen when people travel.

Maria told us about a couple she knew and all their misadventures on their miel luna, honeymoon, and it was all very funny. And remember, this conversation took place all in Spanish. A very simple Spanish, but nonetheless, a month ago it would have been utterly impossible for me to do this.

I guess I can live without hot water. Just as long as any sparks I see in the shower are from my own giddy happiness to be having this experience here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is exciting to hear of all your adventures! The trail and beach sounds like it was really beautiful. But, what about the birds!! Love Denna

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Denna wants to know about the birdies:) This has been so much fun to read! What a great adventure...does make you look at life diffently, how spoiled we are in the US. You write so well (big surprise!) it really feel like I'm there with you (well I am in spirit:) - instead of the arm chair traveler, its the email/blog travler! Love & Hugs, Nancy

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home