Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Lluvia, Lluvia Go Away

Avery quick note on a rainy night before I go with Guido to pick up Chris at the aeropuerto. I just got an email from Denna saying he has been delayed an hour. It{s going to be a late evening for all.

A lot of the studends here talk about the frustration of not being able to just pick up a new language and run with it. We expect to tackle the project and be fluent in five easy lessons, or less. But it takes time.

I really wanted to be so fluent when Chris arrived, that I could spin latin phrases with speed and grace. But I{m still at the think. say. think. say say say. think. huh? stage. The second week I was here, I went to the market all ready to take it on. I needed to buy a t shirt at this place where you could choose your own picture and they would put in on while you waited.

I happened to get a young teenage girl )!?) that didn{t give a damn about me, my shirt, the 2500 colones )5.00) or anything else. We kind of went toe to toe trying to understand each other until another young woman came up and offered to take over. With her help, I bought a cute purple t shirt with the picture of my choice.

I came home that day very frustrated, but in the last 10 days, I{ve seen some forward progress. I{m starting to hear individual words when people out on the street speak, or I hear something on TV. It doesn{t sound like esdemasiadoparatucomprender. But it{s too much for you to learn.

I really really like this and I wish I could stay longer. Maybe I{ll hold Chris for ransom when I get him here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Amiga,

Glad you got the e-mail. I look forward to your day to day postings. Have a good day.

Love ya,
Denna

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home