Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Joke's On Me

I should have learned by now that any time you think you've got extra hours, the universe laughs.

As soon as I got everything in perfect showing condition yesterday, the toilet broke. I had an ant attack in the kitchen. The photgrapher came to take pictures. The realtor who said he was coming at noon never showed up, but another one came half an hour early.

Fortunatly, I had just finished fixing the toilet.

I was very proud that I fixed it all by myself. Most of the these things are never as hard as you think they're going to be. The hardest part is not panicking when you realize that you're going to have to think mechanically.

After weathering that crisis, I got up this morning and felt like I had lots of time today. How should I spend this windfall? Then I realized:

1. I had stuffed 5 loads of clean laundry in the dryer yesterday for want of a place to put it since I didn't have time to fold it.

2. The refrigerator was empty, empty, empty.

3. The pond/fountain had sprouted some kind of green algae in yesterday's heat.

4. The stack of checking account receipts that I had been stuffing in the check book exploded out of the drawer when I opened it to add more.

5. The flowers by the front door, that I had plunked into pots, still in their original containers, were half dead. Not an attractive welcome. If they were to live, they needed re-potted.

6. There is more, but the rest is in the Thousand Cuts category. You know, little things that are nothing by themselves, like cleaning the cat paw prints off the sliding door, but when added all together can bleed your time to death.

The worst of this is that it triggers my barely latent OCD. Obssesive. Compulsive. DisOrder.
And when that kicks in, there is no stopping. I find myself endlessly circling, trying to perfect the Universe, which keeps reverting to it's natural, chaotic state.

I still say I want to come back next life to a world that tends toward order, and it takes energy to create chaos. Sounds a lot more fun.

AND, all these efforts that suck time right down the drain are so, so petty in the scheme of things. What dumb stuff to spend your precious time dollars on.

But as far as Real Estate Dollars are concerned, I want my equity back! So therefore, I obsess.

I wonder what little surprise awaits today? I just hope I can fix it as easily as I did the toilet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home