Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My Yoga Home

In the search for normalcy, I hunted up a yoga studio and went yesterday. It was Anusara style, which was the same type that my teacher Stacy in Laguna taught. She was one of my favorite teachers and I probably made the most progress I've ever made in her class.

I never did get to the point where I could get up in a handstand by myself, though. She tried everything she could think of, but it just never happened. I was able to hold myself up there when I got there, which was progress from my first few attempts. The first time I got up into handstand, my shoulders and arms would only hold me there for mere seconds. Eventually, I could stay there for several minutes, if someone would spot me while I flipped my feet up over my head.

I should have started yoga back in 1980 something.

Ansusara is a flow type of yoga where there's no pause between poses. It's a little strenuous, but fortunately, yesterday's class was a little slowed down. Thank goodness.

Twice last week I dreamed I could do The Wheel, a pose that is a modified back bend, all by myself. So I was motivated to find a studio.

If you haven't been to yoga in a week, it isn't the class that's hard. It's the day after that's tough. Today I'm sore and cranky.

I'm grateful I can walk into a yoga studio, anywhere in the world, and feel instantly at home. Blessings, blessings blessings from yogis everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home