Friday, September 29, 2006

I'm Back But I Don't Know Where I Am

After a lengthy absence, I'm back on blogspot. We're all moved in to our new little home, a 2 bedroom apartment that would accept Kitty. She's not too happy about being an indoor cat, but I she'll adapt. I've been leaving the windows open so that she can sniff the out of doors and so I can blow out the apartment/carpet cleaning/not your home smell. The biggest insult to her though are the renegade, rule breaking tabbies that come around and stare at her through the doors and windows. I wonder if they'll get busted.

I woke up a couple of mornings ago and had that awful, "don't know where I am" feeling. Now I'm used to this when trying to find the Target or a grocery store in a new town, sometimes years after I've moved there. But to wake up in your rented bed and have no idea at what longitude or lattitude you happen to be spinning, is very disconcerting.

We packed light for this stage of the game. One Jeep load, one car load, and at the last minute, Darling Husband went and rented a tiny trailer so I could bring a few of my bigger plants.

This is what we have with us:

4 plates
4 place settings of silver ware
2 coffee mugs
4 cereal bowls
2 sauce pans
mixing bowl
meausuring cup
knife
big spoon
small baking pan
4 dishtowels
salt and pepper shakers
flask
6bath towels
2 beach towels
set of sheets
2 blankets
bath mats
our pillows
4 suitcases of clothes and shoes
travel alarms
bathroom stuff
boom box/10 CDs
tiny TV
computer
2 folding tables
office chair
2 TV trays
emergency gear/backpacks
yoga mat
remote control airplane
shredder
3 wastebaskets
Kitty paraphenalia

That's it. And it all fit in the vehicles.

We gave away our worn out bed and sofa when we moved. We didn't want to have to move a bunch of stuff from the apartment when we found a house, so we rented a basic apt. furniture pkg.; bed, sofa, chair, dresser, "dinette", coffee table, 2 end tables, 2 lamps.

This way, the movers will bring all our things from storage when we buy a house and we can dismantle the apartment as easily and quickly as it got set up. The rental furniture is surprisingly nice and not expensive at all. The apartment and the furniture is half of what we were paying for our So. Cal. digs.

So we're down to basics and amazingly comfortable. When I think of all the stuff I've given away in the last 5 years, it boggles the mind. Just what is it in that 8,000 pounds of stuff I have in a Southern California warehouse that's so darn important? Of course I have to mention the washer and dryer that came with the apartment. It's not like we're roughing it.

A few years ago, I read an article about a mother and daughter in current day Vietnam. They worked 16 hours a day of hard labor in order to buy food and to rent a back room that got no light in an old apartment building. They had no water or toilet. Their bed was a concrete shelf that they took turns sleeping on just to get up off the floor. No pillow, no mattress.

That image has haunted me; to have no comfort in your world, even a simple pillow, at the end of a grueling day.

My list seems long and rich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home