Tuesday, May 08, 2007

La Lluvia

Ah, my first weekend in Costa Rica. Fun, lights, action. No.

Having just recovered from my little set back, and feeling rather weak, I decided not to try to sign up for any touring. Also, since there was just one other person at the school, there wasn t much demand for a weekend outing.

I have an arm chair in a cozy corner of my room. It sits in front of a big window, high off the floor, with a sill deep enough to sit in. It looks out into a small, walled courtyard, empty of anything but a lone shrub. The window sill is painted blue, and the mullions make a grid of yellow. The wall is pink. In the dim and cloudy afternoon light, the window frames a soft blur of color, and as the day grows longer, the setting sun turns the light from gray to rose. The whole room glows rose.

I spent a quiet afternoon and evening in my room reading, working a crossword , listening to rain on a tin roof , and learning more about the mysteries of language.

The light was enveloping, and the rain kept coming. In the morning ,at dawn, when the buses would begin again, the sun would be out and hot, and we{d walk with a big basket and 2 little girls to the Saturday morning market.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

¡Ah! Está como tener una pintura verbal, con maravillosos todos los golpes de cepillo que bailan en la lona.

Gracias para compartir la vista.

Adore Denna

7:37 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Todays test is tough. I think this is a form of Spanish from Spain.
You like to have a word picture.
I cant get golpes de cepillo, and my dictionary calls it a hair brush. Bailan is they dance in the lona. Lona no se.

You are welcome. Im glad to share my visit with you.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home